Monday, April 24, 2006

The State of the Pittsburgh Pirates

Bucs at Cardinals is in progress -- an almost guaranteed loss.

Ollie faces Christopher Carpenter. This Cardinals SP has made the Pirates look like the Royals almost every time we've faced him. And I think we should expect at least one homerun by Albert Pujols off Mini-Perez tonight.

This has just gotten disgusting. I don't know how much more I can take; lately I've been too depressed to even use this blog for cathartic means. Every time I watch this team I just want to go to sleep for a long, long time. I think of how wonderful it would be if I could only fall unconscious during the current era and come to at the height of a fan uprising, in which Kevin McClatchy has been viciously lynched and Mark Cuban has been anointed majority shareholder of the team. But instead I awaken a couple innings later with the opposition having teed off against us while our boys have whiffed and grounded their way to three runs at most.

No one in this city possessing a brain has any respect left for this ownership group and front office. It's now coming into full view that each year the band-aids of Mondesi and Simon and Burnitz and Randa do nothing to improve the team and instead hinder its development. It's also now coming into full view that the owners are not concerned first and foremost with winning, that they are instead concerned first and foremost with the position of the bottom line. It's no longer whispered among more radical groups of Pirate fans; it is shouted and sung through echoing corridors across the cityscape. This team is hopeless until a Revolution is staged, or until the Evil Empire somehow decides to become less Evil and admit their ineptitude, and passes the torch to individuals more worthy.

My whole life I've dreamed of rooting for a competitive baseball team. Unless this ownership group decides to sell, 2006 could be my last season as a Pirate fan. That statement makes me sad and nostalgic, but I will not waver from it.

But in the meantime: Let's Go Bucs!

3 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

It doesn't take Chris Carpenter to make us look like the Royals, we're doing it all by ourselves.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Calvin Pollak said...

"Could stand a change" is a very strong understatement, my friend. The Oakland A's seem to have no problem competing in the current economic climate of baseball.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

We already have five more Randas, Deen: Cota, Edwards, Hernandez, Duffy, and Burnitz.

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home